File Management Software
What is file management and why do you need it?
File management software systems, sometimes called file tracking software or file managers, manage data files.
Its capabilities are limited, though it is designed to manage individual or group files, such as office documents, records and similar information. It provides the user the ability to create, enter, change, query and produce reports one file at a time.
Here are some of the reasons organizations make the switch to file management software solutions:
- Adopting new technology to document files digitally can save companies up to $40,000 per year (for companies earning between $500,000 and $1 million annually).
- Employees spend around 20 percent of the business time — the equivalent of one day per working week searching for information.
- Paper files and physical cabinets are difficult to locate and manage, especially when there is a huge amount of information to keep track of.
Though your computer operating system keeps data organized in a hierarchical file system (directories have files with subdirectories beneath them), your file management system allows you organize by how files and folders are named, how nested folders are arranged and how the files in the folders are handled by the user. This then allows for easier search and discovery of files.
Features of file management software
A file management system empowers employees by increasing their day-to-day productivity and efficiency through the following features:
- Organize files, documents and records
- Create, enter, change, query and generate reports
- Easy search and discovery of files
- Unlimited storage space
- Backup server in case of hardware or network failures
Benefits of a file management software solution
Most of the benefits you’ll enjoy from a file management system or file tracking software hinge on accessibility and organization. They include:
- Organization of files for quick accessibility regardless of location
- Easy file search increases the productivity of employees
- Safer and more secure storage and retrieval for authorized employees and personnel
- Better file tracking for archival and deletion to keep compliant
- Elimination of paper filing systems and the costs that come with it
How OnBase helps you with file management
OnBase is a single enterprise information platform for managing content, processes and cases. Providing enterprise content management (ECM), case management, business process management (BPM), enterprise file sync and share (EFSS) and capture all on a single platform, OnBase transforms organizations around the world by empowering them to become more agile, efficient and effective.
When we talk about file management with OnBase, we often talk about how OnBase supports file tracking.
OnBase allows you to store your electronic files on any network discoverable file share – from Windows or Linux file servers to purpose-built storage devices. As a result, you don’t need to purchase an expensive storage solution for your OnBase system.
OnBase allows you to store an unlimited number of live, online copies for each file within the system. If you experience any hardware or network failures interrupting access to your main file servers, OnBase will instantly fail over to secondary copies to ensure there’s no business downtime.
Learn more about OnBase’s file storage and archive solutions.