Discover the benefits of records management software
Records management software allows organizations to meet legal retention requirements with regard to their corporate documents and records. This enables them to avoid fines, jail time, unsuccessful audits and a variety of other problems, from simple record organization to legal discovery.
It doesn’t matter what industry you’re in. If you’ve got an HR department within your organization, then you’ve got records requirements.
So, how does an organization adopt a records management solution that fits the business, grows with it and helps it succeed? In short, start with what you know.
Implementing a records management solution
When you’re ready to implement records management software, choose a department where retention requirements are already established.
The best records management solutions are easily configurable. They provide customers with the ability to meet compliance or records retention requirements at a fraction of the time, cost and risk of manual methods.
If retention requirements are not established, work with a single department to define content types and associated retention schedules.
The benefits of records management software
There are a variety of reasons why a records management solution will benefit your organization, including:
- Employees can focus on work that moves the company forward. With records management software automating records retention requirements, business users can focus on their primary jobs. For example, an HR generalist doesn’t have to remember how long to keep a W-4 form after an employee leaves the organization. She can focus on finding and retaining talent.
- The records manager can focus on the overall process, not the pieces. She’s not managing individual records or employees, but instead consistently providing visibility and improved records retention enterprise-wide.
- The C-suite benefits because the organization remains compliant. Records are securely organized, appropriately discoverable and then destroyed accordingly, allowing the company to support compliance initiatives.
How a records management solution works
The records management solution from OnBase by Hyland uses pre-defined rules to fully automate the process – from record declaration through final disposition.
Using the solution, OnBase automatically:
- Declares documents as records
- Places events and holds on records
- Destroys and purges records from the system
With OnBase, one system is used for both content management and records management, meaning that a single copy of the document is both the transactional content and the business record.
Discover more common ECM terms
Ready to learn more about other related enterprise content management (ECM) terms? Check out the following terms: