Electronic file management, or electronic document management, is the practice of importing, storing, and managing documents and images as computer files. It includes the scanning and capturing of data from paper-based documents, digitizing files and allowing for the disposal of hard copies.
Why upgrade to electronic file management?
Issues with paper-based systems that are eliminated or minimized with an electronic file management system include:
- Considerable amount of time spent managing and maintaining paper documents
- Amount of storage space required for paper files and boxes
- Reliance on off-site storage solutions, incurring additional costs and delays in retrieval
- Risks of document loss due to fire, water damage, or other physical damage
Benefits of an electronic file management system
By moving from manual, paper-based processes to an electronic file management system, organizations can:
- Save space and resources otherwise needed for organizing, filing, and storing papers
- Minimize errors that are likely with manual data entry and filing
- Permanently preserve documents and information that could otherwise be misplaced or lost
- Reduce or eliminate expenses for office supplies such as printers, copiers, paper, ink, etc.
- Optimize productivity by eliminating time and effort necessary to search through files for information
- Improve customer service by speeding up response times
Do even more with an enterprise information management platform
An enterprise information platform allows organizations to optimize the management of content and processes to better support decision making and day to day operations and includes with electronic file management capabilities that improve accessibility to information by:
- Capturing and storing all relevant documents
- Making information searchable
- Making information accessible from one central platform
- Enabling multiple users to access the same, up-to-date information simultaneously
- Enabling versioning control
- Providing e-signature functionality.
To learn more about electronic file management and the benefits of an enterprise information platform solution, contact us.