Enterprise Content Management Strategy
Creating a plan is key when upgrading or implementing a new ECM system
An enterprise content management (ECM) strategy is an organization’s approach to storing, centralizing, and sharing its documents and other assets. It includes the use of tools that enable the origination, creation, editing, management, review, publishing, search, retrieval, and applied use of information regardless of the initial source or format.
An ECM strategy typically addresses:
- Content capture and indexing
- Asset repository management
- Accessibility and availability
- Lifecycle management
- Systems integrations
- Ease of use
Why organizations need enterprise content management strategies
The proliferation of information stored in disparate forms and locations—photos and videos on smartphones and connected devices, instant messages and emails on work PCs, spreadsheets and documents in the cloud, etc.—makes consolidation a necessary but challenging endeavor.
The goal of an ECM strategy is to organize this data for ease of access.
Whether implementing an ECM system for the first time or upgrading to a new system, a knowledge-based organization needs a formal plan to ensure that program requirements are met and end users’ needs are addressed. An enterprise approach to content management should enable the streamlining of business processes, eliminating bottlenecks.
Ultimately, an ECM solution provides knowledge workers the information they need to make the best possible business decisions.
Including ECM in your overall enterprise information management framework
A centralized ECM solution as part of an information management solution can:
- Facilitate audits and track compliance
- Track every action taken regarding information, whether user- or system-originated
- Deal with different document versions
- Integrate with core business apps
- Increase employee productivity
- Speed up business processes
- Limit paper usage
- Provide access to content for viewing, editing, or collaboration wherever it is needed, including offline and via mobile devices
To learn more about enterprise content management strategy and the benefits of an enterprise information platform solution, contact us.