An IDC whitepaper sponsored by Hyland, Navigating software solution delivery in a digitally transformed world, cites IDC’s Worldwide Developer Forecast, which predicted the worldwide shortage of full-time developers would increase from 1.4 million in 2021 to 4 million in 2025 — an explosive 185% increase in the need for developers.
To bridge the development skills gap, 31% of IT respondents in the IDC survey said they would give more developer duties to staff outside of the IT department using technologies such as low-code or robotic process automation (RPA). These nondevelopers with no prior coding experience, called citizen developers, can use these low-code platforms with the support of IT to make quick, effective business applications for their teams.
Robust low-code platforms include prebuilt integrations that get your new technology running quickly and seamlessly with your other core systems. Without the prebuilt connectors, getting a new platform manually coded for integration can slow down implementation and even user adoption, while struggling to unite disparate systems.
The best low-code platforms make it easy to connect to other enterprise systems, so no custom integrations need to be built by the IT team.
Low-code use cases
No matter your industry, leveraging a low-code app development platform ensures your organization is primed and ready to expand in every department.
Here are some use-cases highlighting some of the common expansions that can connect your enterprise across any department:
Accounting and Finance
Leveraging a low-code platform can enable you to quickly roll out mission-critical solutions into your accounting and finance department, yielding:
- Improved cash flow management: With high visibility into invoice volumes, employees have all the information they need to speed up the entire invoice life cycle.
- Minimized operational costs: Staff is connected with the information needed to maximize productivity, and optimized reporting capabilities increase visibility into cash flow, which improves accuracy and accelerates payment applications.
- Simplified capital expenditure proposals and approvals: Modernizing with low-code replaces antiquated methods for managing cross-enterprise spending.
- Optimized financial compliance efforts: Built-in dashboard reports, native audit trails and more optimized compliance initiatives, including Payment Card Industry (PCI) audit/PCI compliance and Sarbanes–Oxley (SOX) audit/financial controls.
- Smarter financial reporting: Track and analyze monthly finances with historical and trending prediction reporting.
- Streamlined vendor management: Leverage a centralized location for creating and updating vendor records, where employees can also manage all vendor documents in a simplified workflow that increases productivity.
Your human resources (HR) department is crucial to your organization’s first impression. A low-code platform enables you to rapidly deliver business-transforming applications that can boost everything from finances to employee longevity:
- Increased compensation management efficiency: Maximize efficiency with a central view into employee compensation data and export it directly into your payroll system.
- Improved drug and alcohol testing governance: Provide customized regulatory reporting.
- Streamlined employee onboarding and separation management: Boost smooth transitions, monitor tasks across departments, and quickly identify issues or bottlenecks with reporting dashboards at the employee, department or organization level.
- Effective, secure employee records management: Comprehensive digital employee files from hire to rehire can connect employee data in your Human Capital Management system.
- Holistic employee relations management: Create an overview of all tasks, conversations, notes and documentation surrounding an employee, from a single location. This enables consistent processes for handling employee complaints, grievances, safety violations or misconduct, all of which minimizes legal risk.
Building low-code solutions for purchasing enables instant access to the information purchasing team members need, like:
- Price quotes
- Proposals and more
This enables the quick, easy creation and deployment of supplier management workflows and customized routing processes that greatly optimize productivity, leaving more time for your team to focus on big-picture plans.
Customer service and support
Low-code apps allow your business to deliver on customer expectations faster than ever before, with:
- Expedited complaint management workflows: Track any complaint made while assigning and managing tasks to handle the ticket and providing vital visibility into the solution.
- Simplified customer rebate management: Gain visibility from the moment a consumer uses a rebate all the way until it’s acknowledged by the vendor’s accounting department.
Reduce IT sprawl and maximize return on investment (ROI) by consolidating multiple applications across the organization as well as in the IT department on a single low-code platform:
- Centralize asset management: Connect all information and work requests related to the procurement, maintenance and repair of IT assets, and make them easily accessible to all IT staff.
- Track all IT service ticketing processes: Standardized electronic forms accelerate resolution times and improve service speeds and levels.
Are you ready to leverage the full transformative power of low-code?
Smart, strategic growth is often what it takes to build scalability and strength at an enterprise level. Hyland can be the partner that helps your business get there.
We are a Leader in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Content Services Platforms, and one of our biggest strengths that the report highlighted was our low-code application platform.
Learn more about building better applications in less time with Hyland’s platform for low-code development.