The new integrated ECM system has transformed document access for employees, providing powerful capabilities related to search, find and content linking.
Today 2,500 users have access to 40,000 documents, and the local authority is able to categorize and organize its documents, using a common structure that is transparent to all.
“We now have one place to find everything,” Westerlund said. “People have been very positive about Alfresco platform and find it very easy to use. Anyone using our intranet can access any document, regardless of the department or service they work within — it’s just there.”
The cost savings realized include those arising from increased employee efficiency, thanks to fast information access and the elimination of the need to ask colleagues to assist in tracking down and emailing documentation individual users previously found hard to locate.
In addition to the streamlined management of information access, about 200 employees are now benefiting from powerful collaboration capabilities that make project work simpler and more consistent. Project sites go well beyond being just a document library — enabling users to share ideas, manage project items and questions, as well as sharing useful external resources.
“We are only just beginning to tap into the improved collaboration potential Alfresco platform offers,” Westerlund said. “We’ve experienced considerable user demand from teams for new project spaces, and Alfresco platform will play a growing role in boosting the working capabilities of our personnel.”
For the future, Alingsås Municipality is exploring how to extend information access and collaboration beyond the enterprise to selected external stakeholders. For example, it is currently exploring using Alfresco platform in conjunction with Google to give students and teachers in schools the opportunity to share resources and documents.
- Today, 2,500 users benefit from enhanced search, find and view capabilities, thanks to Alfresco platform.
- About 40,000 documents are managed using Alfresco platform.
- Employees have secure and fast access to documents and resources, wherever they are based and regardless of department.
- The municipality now has a framework to order and structure its information resources in a standardized and unified manner, enabling employees to source and access documents faster and more easily than ever.
- New shared collaboration areas make it easier for cross-functional and interdepartmental project teams to come together and work more effectively and efficiently.