Spring 2023 Hy-Tech Club at a Glance
Students in grades 8 - 12 who want to learn how to code.
Hy-Tech Club is a free 12-week program that meets on a weekly basis.
In-person at Hyland’s Global HQ in Westlake, Ohio or virtual via Zoom.
Weekly on Tuesdays, February 28 - May 16 2023.
Applications open Wednesday, January 25 and are due by Wednesday, February 22 at 11:59pm ET.
Hy-Tech club is the reason why I can code. They teach you so well and make it enjoyable that anyone who wants to learn or gain more knowledge in coding, I recommend them to hy-tech club.
Spring 2023 Class Offerings
All classes will meet either in-person at Hyland’s Headquarters in Westlake, Ohio or virtually via Zoom.
**Once the information below has been read and understood, students may submit an application. Students should only apply if they can commit to weekly meetings. We strongly suggest students look at their schedules before applying to Hy-Tech Club.**
- Hy-Tech Club will meet weekly on Tuesdays from February 28th - May 16th.
- Important Note: This semester, all courses will be offered both virtually and in-person.
- Students who attend in-person at Hyland will meet from 5 - 7:30PM ET. (Dinner will be served for students in-person at Hyland from 5 - 5:30PM ET.)
- Students who attend virtually will log onto Zoom from 5:30 - 7:30PM ET.
The below course offerings are subject to change based on enrollment for Spring 2023. If there are not enough students to fill a class, the class may be cancelled and students will be notified.
Web 101: HTML & CSS
This course covers the basics of web development, introducing static webpages and styles. By the end of the semester, students will be able to create their own webpages using the HTML language to build structure, and the CSS language to add style.
This advanced course offers students the opportunities to explore the possibilities of Python. After learning the basic syntax, dive into a variety of topics like chat bots, algorithms, and web scraping. Students are not required to have Python experience for this course, but they should have strong experience with at least one other programming language.
Since I started Hy-Tech Club, I have learned so much about coding. The curriculum is easy to learn from and the instructors are great to work with.
When filling out the application, students who have not been in Hy-Tech Club before should answer “no” to the first question. It is important to note that Hy-Tech Club is different from Hy-Tech Camps.
- Parents and Guardians should fill out this application on behalf of students under the age of 18 (or 19 in Alabama or Nebraska). Please be sure to answer questions accurately on behalf of the student.
- Students will be sent a confirmation that their application has been received ( via the e-mail addresses on their application ) within 5-7 business days from submitting their application. The semester will start on Tuesday, February 28th.
- Correspondence to applicants will be coming from [email protected] . Please make sure to check your spam folders and add [email protected] to your address book to avoid any missed communication.
**Please note that parents or guardians must submit the online application for children under the age of 13. This website is not intended for used by children under the age of 13.**
Former student options
Former students should have received an e-mail with instructions on which classes they are eligible to take. If you are a former student and you are not sure which class you are being considered for, please e-mail [email protected]
New student options
New students with little to no programming experience will be considered for Web 101, which teaches HTML and CSS.
New students who have programming experience may be considered for Web 102 or Python 201.
Applications due by 11:59PM ET Wednesday, February 22, 2023
Required resources for virtual students
It's recommended to make sure to have a reliable internet connection.
Laptop, desktop PC, or Chromebook
A Chromebook screen may make it difficult to watch the Zoom meeting and code at the same time. A second device may be recommended in order to do both at the same time.
Microphone or other audio equipment
If students don't have a microphone attached to their computer, they are required to connect to audio via phone.