SPRING HY-TECH CLUB APPLICATION
DUE JANUARY 22, 2020
Hy-Tech Club is a free program for students in GRADES 9-12 who want to learn how to code. The Club meets on a weekly basis at Hyland’s Global Headquarters in Westlake, Ohio. Check out this video to learn more about Hy-Tech Club. Download this flyer to share with your school(s).
The first meeting of the SPRING 2020 semester will be FEBRUARY 11 or 12, depending on the section in which you are placed. The semester will run for 12 weeks and students should only apply if they can commit to weekly meetings. We strongly suggest students look at their schedules before applying to Hy-Tech Club.
Applications will open DECEMBER 19.
SPRING 2020 COURSE OFFERINGS
Please review the course descriptions below.
Web 101: HTML & CSS (Tuesdays)
- This course covers the basics of web development, introducing static webpages and styles. By the end of the semester, students will be able to create their own webpages using the HTML language to build structure, and the CSS language to add style.
C# 101: Intro to C# (Tuesdays)
- This course introduces the C# programming language, and delves into primary programming concepts at a deep level. By the end of the semester, students will feel comfortable developing simple console applications using basic C# structures.
C# 102: Advanced C# (Wednesdays)
- This course introduces advanced programming concepts using the C# programming language. By the end of the semester, students will be able to develop visual applications in C# using advanced programming patterns and data structures.
Web 201: Full-stack Web Development (Wednesdays)
There are two separate applications; one for new students and one for former Hy-Tech Club Students. Only one application needs to be completed.
Students are required to complete all pieces of the application by 11:59PM JANUARY 22, 2020. All applications must be filled out by the student, in the student's own words. We are asking that parents do not fill out the application for their child.
Students will be notified (via the e-mail addresses on their application) whether or not they were accepted on FRIDAY, JANUARY 24, 2020.
**Please note that parents must submit the online application for children under the age of 13. Children under the age of 13 must write their own answers, but parents must take the steps on this website to submit the online application for them. This website is not intended for children under the age of 13.
NEW STUDENT APPLICATION
This application is for students who have not been in Hy-Tech Club before (please note this program is different from Hy-Tech Camps).
New students with little to no programming experience will be considered for Web 101, which teaches HTML and CSS.
- This section will meet on Tuesday evenings
New students who have programming experience may be considered for:
- Web 102 (Tuesdays)
- C# 101 (Tuesdays)
- C# 102 (Wednesdays)
THIS APPLICATION INCLUDES:
ESSAY QUESTIONS: Students have to write answers in a Microsoft Word document and attach it to the online application
1) Tell us why becoming a member of the Hy-Tech Club is important to you
2) Tell us why you want to learn how to code in the Hy-Tech Club, OR, if you already know how to code, tell us why you want to learn more
This must be written and sent in directly by a current or former teacher to [email protected] by 11:59PM JANUARY 22, 2020.
PROMPT: "Please tell us why this student would be an exemplary member of Hy-Tech Club"
- This recommendation should speak to the student's work ethic and academic performance, and it does not need to speak to the student's programming experience
- If you've applied in the past and used a teacher recommendation on your previous application, you do not need to turn in another recommendation
FORMER HY-TECH CLUB STUDENT APPLICATION
This application is for students who have previously been active students in Hy-Tech Club. Former students should have received an e-mail with instructions on which classes they are eligible to take. If you are a former student and you are not sure which class you are being considered for, please e-mail [email protected].
THIS APPLICATION INCLUDES:
1) Please provide detailed examples of how being a part of the Club has benefited you
2) Please provide detailed examples about your favorite experience working on a Hy-Tech Club project
“It is very fun, productive, and educational. It gives me something fun to look forward to every week. It has given me a new view on what technology can do, and how I have the capability to learn how to do it” – Hy-Tech Club student, Grade 9
“Hy-Tech Club has given me the opportunity to further my knowledge and passion for all things computer science as well as introduced me to new friends and a company I wish to one day come back to as an employee.” – Hy-Tech Club student, Grade 11