The project for Credendo is a textbook example of how having a dynamic and excellent working relationship between technology provider and customer can lead to impressive results in a short space of time. As usual, we used an agile approach during the project, with short "sprints" during which specific components are built, tested and feedback is given. This approach works very well if the customer is very engaged during tests and discussions, as was the case here. In fact, Credendo assigned its own project manager who started work on this project six months beforehand to ensure that all communication between the company and AMPLEXOR went well.
To ensure the best feedback was received during the agile sprints, an internal "ambassador" was appointed for each involved sub-department to provide input to the project manager. This method had the added advantage that these ambassadors could inform and train their colleagues and bring back to AMPLEXOR possible concerns from these future users.
As the new case management solution would have quite an impact on the workings of the department, having these ambassadors involved at an earlier stage helped in change management and getting everyone on board right from the start.
What also made this project easier was Credendo defined the 60% to 70% of functionality that was required in the solution. The remaining 30% was divided into "Shoulds," Coulds" and "Won’ts," which would be built if budget and time allowed. This was a great advantage, as it helped everyone to establish the correct priorities.
In the end, Hyland managed to build nearly everything within budget, sometimes using workarounds. The technology base for the case management solution was Alfresco, a powerful and versatile open-source solution. Credendo was already working with the software, so they chose to continue working with Alfresco. The company also would supply and maintain the hardware, while Hyland provided disaster recovery and security procedures, which were tested extensively.