Hyland partners with TECH CORPS on nationwide CSEdWeek
Hyland will host high tech academy, fund computer-science-focused ‘TECH CORPS Unplugged’ lessons nationwide
Hyland, a leading global content services provider and passionate proponent of building and inspiring careers in technology, again will partner with TECH CORPS, a national nonprofit headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, to power Computer Science Education Week (Speedweek) Dec. 4-8.
CSEdWeek is an annual event designed to inspire students to learn computer science, advocate for equity in computer science education, and celebrate the contributions of students, teachers and partners within the field. Hyland has partnered with TECH CORPS on the event for the last several years; in that span, the program will have reached more than 17,000 students nationwide. This year, Hyland will fund the distribution of TECH CORPS’ Unplugged lessons for 207 elementary and middle school classrooms across the country.
“We take great pride in our role in building and inspiring careers in technology, and our partnership with TECH CORPS continues to be a fruitful one as we fulfill that mission,” said John Phelan, Hyland’s chief technology officer and a TECH CORPS board member. “We’re excited to play a role in this year’s CSEdWeek and know the Unplugged lessons will be a valuable resource for students interested in STEM.”
The “unplugged” approach allows elementary and middle school students to delve into computer science concepts without needing a computer — making learning enjoyable and accessible to students of all backgrounds. The computer science activities and materials will be used by more than 5,100 students during CSEdWeek. The lessons for CSEdWeek 2023 are:
- Algorithmic origami teaches the importance of clear and specific language that will prepare students for concepts used in coding.
- Techie Battleship allows students to experience project development and teaches the importance of strategic decisions using two different approaches.
“Educators have used TECH CORPS Unplugged activities to encourage exploration and help students make connections between hands-on experiences and abstract computer science concepts,” said Lisa M. Chambers, TECH CORPS’ National Executive Director. “These hands-on activities spark interest in computer science and motivate students to explore the subject further. By using TC Unplugged activities in their classrooms, teachers lay a strong foundation for computer science education, making it accessible, engaging and applicable to a wide range of students.”
Hyland’s partnership with TECH CORPS is just one aspect of the company’s broad efforts to build and inspire careers in technology programs. The company aims to spark and inspire interest in technology, provide experiential opportunities meant to develop and grow students’ curiosity around tech, and engage and retain that interest and advance students’ skills.
Those efforts include:
- Hyland’s STEM program at Cleveland State University’s Fenn Academy, through which Hyland encourages students to pursue higher education in engineering and computer science by bridging the education gap in math between high school and college
- 10-year partnership with St. Martin de Porres High School in Cleveland on the school’s work-study program; Hyland recently expanded its presence at St. Martin, providing weekly professional training to students in OnBase, Hyland’s content services platform
- Longtime partnership with Youth Opportunities Unlimited, through which Hyland has supported internship programs – students have interned at Hyland the last three years. Hyland has hosted virtual career panels featuring representatives from many technical roles (cybersecurity, software development and more), and Hyland employees also have served as instructors and mentors for sophomores and juniors in Cuyahoga County.
- Weekly coding pilot program at Cleveland’s Urban Community School
- And more
For more about Hyland’s extensive Tech Outreach programs, visit Hyland.com.
Hyland provides industry-leading technology foundations that empower its customers to create better human connections. Trusted by thousands of organizations worldwide, including more than half of the Fortune 100, Hyland's intelligent solutions seamlessly integrate content, data and processes to improve each interaction.
About TECH CORPS
For over 25 years, TECH CORPS has ensured K-12 students have equal access to Computer Science (CS) and Information Technology (IT) programs, skills, and resources that enhance early learning and prepare them for college, credentials, or careers. TECH CORPS develops CS and IT programs and deploys tech-savvy talent to assist K-12 schools and youth-serving organizations nationwide. TECH CORPS is the longest-operating education-technology nonprofit organization in the United States.