Hyland Software, Global Applicant Privacy Notice
Effective Date: July 2023
Welcome to the Hyland Software Careers Site (the “Site”). The Site serves as the centralized career application portal for Hyland Software, Inc. and its corporate affiliates (collectively, “we”, “us”, or the “Hyland”). When you apply for employment with Hyland, we gather certain types of information about you during the recruitment process.
This Global Applicant Privacy Notice (“Privacy Notice”) applies only to the information you submit during the recruiting process. We have created this Privacy Notice to help you understand how we collect, use and disclose the personal information you provide during the recruiting process.
This Privacy Notice addresses the following topics:
- Your Consent
- Scope of This Notice
- Personal Information We Collect About You
- Categories of Sources of Your Personal Information
- How We May Use Your Personal Information
- How We May Disclose Your Personal Information
- Retention of Your Personal Information
- International Transfers of Your Personal Information
- Security For Your Personal Information
- How to Access, Correct, or Delete Personal Information in Your Account
- Jurisdiction-Specific Information
- Changes to this Notice
- Inquiries and Concerns
1. Your Consent
When you apply for an employment opportunity with Hyland, you will be required to create an account with us. Prior to creating an account, you must review this Privacy Notice and click “I accept.” By clicking “I accept”, you consent to the collection, use, disclosure, transfer across borders and other processing of your personal information as described in this Privacy Notice.
Once you accept, your consent will continue to apply to our collection, use, disclosure, cross-border transfer and other processing of your personal information unless you revoke your consent by logging into the Site, selecting “Data Subject Requests” and then selecting “Revoke Consent”.
If you do not accept our Privacy Notice, you will not be able to use the Site to apply for Hyland employment opportunities, and Hyland will not be able to consider you for employment.
2. Scope of This Notice
This Privacy Notice applies only to information collected for recruitment purposes through the Site and from other sources, except where specified below. The other sources might include information that you provide other than through the online application page as well as information obtained, for example, from prior employers, other references, pre-employment screening providers, and educational institutions. This Privacy Notice does not apply to any other site or page that Hyland owns or operates.
3. Personal Information We Collect About You
If you choose to apply for employment with us, the categories of personal information that we may collect about you are listed below. Please remember that you are responsible for providing information that is accurate, complete and up to date when you disclose information to us during the employment process.
- Identifiers: First and last name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, Internet Protocol (IP) address, and signature.
- Professional or Employment-Related Information: We collect your resume and information about your employment history (e.g., dates of employment and last position held), educational history ((e.g. degrees earned, certifications obtained), professional licenses and/or certifications, and any information you chose to disclose through your LinkedIn profile.
- Non-Public Education Information: non-public educational information, such as marksheets and pass/fail degree certificates in certain countries.
- Medical information: If Hyland conducts a post-offer medical examination or if you request an accommodation in connection with the hiring process, we may collect medical information about you.
- Other Information Submitted With Your Online Application: (a) any personal information submitted as part of your response to our question asking why you chose to apply for a position with Hyland; (b) your eligibility to work in the country where you reside; and (c) language(s) spoken; and (d) your salary expectations.
Information About Protected Classification
When you apply for a position in the United States or indicate the United States as a preferred location when registering your profile, you will have the opportunity to provide information about your protected classification, i.e., gender, race/ethnic origin and/or veteran status in order for us to conduct equal opportunity monitoring. Providing this information is entirely voluntary. If you decline to provide this information, your application(s) will not be affected in any way. If you do choose to provide this information, you consent to our use of it for equal employment opportunity monitoring purposes. This information will be held and stored anonymously and will not be used to evaluate your application for employment and also will not be used to infer any characteristics about you.
Except as described above, we will not request or otherwise collect information about your health, race or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade-union membership, or sexual orientation or your genetic information or biometric information through the on-line application or during the application process unless the law, as an exception, requires us to do so. We, or a third-party background check company under our direction, may check criminal history records for information about convictions, but only if and to the extent permitted by applicable law.
4. Categories of Sources of Your Personal Information
We may collect the categories of personal information listed above from the following sources:
- You, for example, in your job application, forms you fill out for us, assessments you complete, surveys you complete, and any information you provide us during the course of your application and interview process.
- Vendors and service providers, for example, recruiters.
- Third parties, for example, job references, affiliated companies, professional employer organizations or staffing agencies.
- Public internet sources, for example, social media, job boards, public profiles, and other public online sources
- Public records, for example, court records, and credentialing and licensing organizations.
- Automated technologies on Hyland’s electronic resources, for example, to track logins and activity on Hyland’s careers page.
- Surveillance/recording technologies installed by Hyland, for example, video surveillance in common areas of Hyland facilities, voicemail technologies, webcams, and audio/video recording technologies with consent to the extent required by law.
- Government or administrative agencies, for example, law enforcement or public health authorities.
- Acquired company, if Hyland acquired your employer, Hyland might collect personal information from that employer.
5. How We May Use Your Personal Information
We will use the information that we collect about you for purposes of the hiring process, including:
- To evaluate your qualifications or suitability for employment with Hyland
- To communicate with you
- To check your references
- To conduct a pre-employment or criminal history background check
- For identification purposes
- For diversity and inclusion purposes as permitted by applicable law
- For recordkeeping purposes
- To demonstrate your agreement to, or acceptance of, documents presented to you, e.g., pre-employment arbitration agreement, acknowledgment of employment application, offer letter
- To evaluate and improve the recruiting process
- To comply with our legal obligations and to defend against administrative charges or legal claims
If you visit our facilities
- To make travel arrangements
- To reimburse travel expenses
- To managed access to the facility
- To issue a security badge
- To maintain security during the visit
- To monitor your use of the corporate internet access if you connect to our guest WiFi during a visit to our offices
You may also choose to receive automated emails about positions at Hyland at the e-mail address you provided informing you of positions that may fit your profile. To stop receiving these emails at any time, you can click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of these emails. You may also choose to stop receiving these emails (or to begin receiving them if you had previously elected not to) by signing into the Site and selecting “Manage Your Email Subscriptions” from the dashboard.
If you are not hired for the position for which you initially apply we may use the information that we collect about you through the recruiting process to evaluate your suitability for future job openings. Based on that evaluation, we may use your personal information to contact you to find out whether you are interested in applying for new job openings. If you no longer wish to be considered for future positions, you may request that we withdraw your application from consideration for future positions at any time by logging into the online career portal, selecting “Data Subject Requests” and then selecting “Restrict Processing” from the dropdown menu to confirm that you no longer wish to be considered for future positions with Hyland.
Hyland’s employees involved in the evaluation of your application and, if you are hired, in the administration of your employment with Hyland will have access to your personal information on a need–to-know basis.
Lawful Basis For Processing: Where applicable information protection law requires a lawful basis for collecting, using and otherwise processing your personal information, Hyland relies on your consent to do so. The processing of your personal information is also necessary for Hyland to determine whether to enter into an employment agreement with you (where applicable). If you do not provide the requested information, Hyland may not be able to consider you for employment. In addition, the processing of your personal information is necessary for Hyland to pursue its legitimate interests in recruiting and hiring suitable personnel.
6. How We May Disclose Your Personal Information
Hyland will not sell, lease, or license your personal information to any third party. There are limited circumstances when Hyland may disclose the personal information we collect about you to third parties, most notably:
- Service Providers: With third-party service providers. We may, for example, retain a service provider to host all or portions of this Site, to help maintain and manage our databases, to assist in the recruiting process, or to conduct pre-employment screening. Service providers will be permitted to use your personal information only for the purpose(s) for which it was disclosed to them and in accordance with Hyland’s instructions. Service providers generally will be located only in the United States or in the country where you are applying for a position.
- Corporate Affiliates: With affiliated companies, such as grandparent, parent and/or subsidiary corporations, for their recruitment, recordkeeping and/or reporting purposes.
- Required By Law: When required by law, such as when we respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, or a discovery request in civil litigation.
- Legal Violations: If we believe that your actions violate applicable law, or threaten the rights, property, or safety of Hyland, our users, or others.
- Corporate Transactions: If we sell some or all of our business, we may disclose all of the information that we have collected about you to a purchaser or, in due diligence, to a potential purchaser, but subject to a confidentiality agreement.
Hyland will make such disclosures only as permitted by applicable information protection laws.
7. Retention Of Your Personal Information
Hyland will retain your personal information only for as long as needed to accomplish the purposes for which it was collected. Generally, this means that Hyland will retain your personal information throughout the recruitment process and for as long thereafter as required or permitted by applicable law, including as may be necessary to pursue or defend legal claims. If you no longer wish to be considered for future positions, you may request that we withdraw your application from consideration for future positions at any time by logging into the online career portal, selecting “Data Subject Requests” and then selecting “Restrict Processing” from the dropdown menu to confirm that you no longer wish to be considered for future positions with Hyland.
If Hyland hires you, the information that you submitted through the Site and the information that we collect during the application process will become part of your personnel file and may be used to administer the employment relationship and for related reporting and recordkeeping purposes.
8. International Transfer of Your Personal Information
If you are applying for a position with Hyland from outside the U.S., the personal information that we collect about you in the recruitment process will be transferred to, and stored on, our servers, located in the U.S., and on servers maintained by our recruitment service provider, iCims, Inc., in the U.S. Authorized employees of Hyland and/or affiliated companies at locations outside the United States may have access to your personal information as part of the recruitment process. These employees may use and disclose your personal information only for recruitment purposes and must handle that information in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable information protection laws and guidance. The information protection laws where these companies are located may be less stringent than the laws of your home country. Details on the locations from which Hyland employees may access your personal information can be found here.
If you reside in the European Union (“EU”), Switzerland, or the United Kingdom (“UK”), we have taken steps to ensure an adequate level of protection for your transferred personal information through Standard Contractual Clauses (the “SCCs”) to which Hyland Software, Inc. and its affiliates are all parties. You may obtain a copy of the SCCs by submitting a request to [email protected]. If you reside in other countries with restrictions on cross-border data transfers, such as Brazil, we rely on your consent for the transfer of your personal data outside your country of residence.
For Japan Only: For international data transfers to the United States, the applicable information with respect to the personal data requirement of the United States can be found here at:
https://www.ppc.go.jp/files/pdf/newyork_report.pdf (New York)
9. Security For Your Personal Information
We want you to feel confident about providing your personal information through the Site, so we have implemented a security program to keep information that is transmitted to our systems protected from unauthorized access. Your submissions of information to our secure server are protected by Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (“HTTPS”) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) technology, utilized by many popular browsers to safeguard transmissions. This technology allows us to use encryption tools to protect information transmitted between your computer and our server. After we have received your information, access to it is limited to employees with a need to know.
While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you submit through the Site, and you do so at your own risk. We urge you to keep your username, password and any other log-in credentials in a safe place as you share responsibility for maintaining the confidentiality of the information that you submit to us. It is a good practice to sign off your account and close your browser window when you have finished your visit to the Site.
10. How to Access, Correct, or Delete Your Personal Information in Your Account
You can access, update, correct or delete your account information and any information in your profile by visiting the online application page and clicking on “Update My Profile.” If you would like to access the information that you have submitted through the Site online application page; wish to request that we update, modify, or delete your information; or if you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, please contact [email protected].
11. Jurisdiction-Specific Information
- All locations outside of the United States
- European Economic Area, United Kingdom, and Switzerland
This section applies only to individuals who reside in the state of California in the United States (“California residents”). This section applies to personal information collected through the Site and in any other way, such as when California residents visit our offices during the recruitment process.
California Notice at Collection: Hyland collects the categories of personal information identified in Section 1 (Personal Information We Collect About You), above, for the purposes identified in Section 2 (How We May Use Your Personal Information), above, and retains personal information for the period described in Section 7 (Retention of Your Personal Information). We do not, and will not, sell or “share” (disclose to third parties for cross contextual behavioral advertising) your personal information. In addition, we have no actual knowledge that we sell or share the personal information of individuals of any age in connection with the HR relationship, including the personal information of children under 16. We also do not collect or process sensitive personal information for the purpose of inferring characteristics about you.
Additional Information Regarding Disclosures of Personal Information
The California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA) requires that we provide you with the following information about disclosures of your personal information to third parties for “business purposes”, as that term is defined in the CPRA:
- Service providers: Hyland may disclose to service providers any of the categories of personal information listed in Section 1 (Personal Information We Collect About You above, for the business purpose of performing services on Hyland’s behalf and, in particular, for the specific purposes described in Section 5 (How We May Use Your Personal Information), above.
- Auditors, lawyers, consultants, and accountants engaged by Hyland: Hyland may disclose the categories of personal information listed in Section 1 (Personal Information We Collect About You), above, to these services providers or contractors for the business purpose of auditing compliance with policies and applicable laws, in addition to performing services on Hyland’s behalf.
- Affiliated companies: Hyland may disclose any of the categories of personal information listed in Section 1 (Personal Information We Collect About You), above, to other companies within the Hyland Software, Inc. family of companies for the business purposes of: (a) auditing compliance with policies and applicable laws, (b) helping to ensure security and integrity, (c) debugging, (d) short-term transient use, (e) internal research, and (f) activities to maintain or improve the quality or safety of a service or device.
Your California Privacy Rights
Subject to applicable exceptions, California residents have the following rights under the California Privacy Rights Act (“CPRA”):
- Right to Know: You have the right to submit a verifiable request for specific pieces of your personal information obtained from you and for information about Hyland’s collection, use, and disclosure of categories of your personal information.
- Right to Delete: You have the right to submit a verifiable request to delete personal information that Hyland has collected from or about you.
- Right to Correct: You have the right to submit a verifiable request to correct inaccurate personal information about you maintained by Hyland, taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of processing the personal information.
Non-Discrimination: Hyland will not unlawfully discriminate against you for exercising your privacy rights under the California Privacy Rights Act.
How to Exercise Your California Privacy Rights
Hyland will respond to request to know, delete, and correct in accordance with applicable law if it can verify the identity of the requestor. You can exercise these rights in the following ways:
- Call 1-888-830-6654
- Email [email protected]
How We Will Verify Your Request
The processes that we follow to verify your identity when you make a request to know, correct, or delete are described below. The relevant process depends on how and why the request is submitted.
For a general request, such as a request to know how we handle your personal information, we will match at least two information points that you provide against information about you that we already have in our records and that we have determined to be reliable for purposes of verifying your identity.
For an escalated request, such as a request for specific pieces of your personal information, we will match at least three information points that you provide against information that we already have about you in our records and that we have determined to be reliable for purposes of verifying your identity.
We have implemented the following additional procedures when verifying the identity of requestors:
- If we cannot verify your identity based on the processes described above, we may ask you for additional verification information. If we do so, we will not use that information for any purpose other than verification.
- If we cannot verify your identity to a sufficient level of certainty to respond to your request, we will let you know promptly and explain why we cannot verify your identity.
If an authorized agent submits a request to know, correct, or delete on your behalf, the authorized agent must submit with the request a document signed by you that authorizes the authorized agent to submit the request on your behalf. In addition, we may ask you to follow the applicable process described above for verifying your identity. You can obtain an “Authorized Agent Designation” form by contacting us at [email protected].
Note on Deidentified Information
At times, Hyland converts personal information into deidentified information using reasonable measures to ensure that the deidentified information cannot be associated with the individual (“Deidentified Information”). Hyland maintains Deidentified Information in a deidentified form and does not attempt to reidentify it, except that Hyland may attempt to reidentify the information solely for the purpose of determining whether its deidentification processes ensure that the information cannot be associated with the individual. Hyland prohibits vendors, by contract, from attempting to reidentify Hyland’s Deidentified Information.
All locations outside of the United States
The data controller of your personal information is the applicable Hyland Software, Inc. corporate group member to which you are applying for employment. Contact details for each corporate group member can be found here.
The personal information collected through the Site is downloaded to a server maintained by Hyland, or its service provider, in the United States. The laws of the United States may provide a different level of protection for your personal information than what is required in the country where you reside.
To the extent provided by applicable law and subject to any relevant exceptions, you may be able to exercise the following rights:
- Access: The right to request access to your personal information maintained by the Hyland.
- Brazilian and European Individuals’ right to access their personal information includes their right to receive a copy of all, or a portion, of their personal information in Hyland’s possession as long as Hyland’s providing the personal information would not adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others.
- Rectification: The right to request that Hyland update or correct your personal information that is outdated or inaccurate.
- Deletion: The right to request that Hyland delete/erase your personal information.
- Restrict Processing: The right to request restriction of processing of your personal information in certain situations, such as while a dispute concerning the accuracy of personal information is being resolved.
- Data Portability: You have the right to request that Hyland transfer your personal information to a third party.
- Subject to certain limitations, the right to information portability allows you to obtain from Hyland, or to ask Hyland to send to a third party, a copy of your personal information in electronic form that you provided to Hyland in connection with your interactions with Hyland.
- Objection: You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information.
- You have the right to object when processing of your personal information is based solely on Hyland’s legitimate interests. If you do object in these circumstances, the processing of your personal information will be stopped unless there is an overriding, compelling reason to continue the processing or the processing is necessary to establish, pursue or defend legal claims.
- Withdraw Consent: The right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information, at any time, where you previously consented to the processing of your personal information.
- Any withdrawal shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your consent before its withdrawal, and Hyland will continue to retain the personal information that you provided us before you withdrew your consent for as long as allowed or required by applicable law.
If you reside in Brazil, you have the right, in addition to the applicable rights above and subject to applicable limitations and exceptions, to (a) request confirmation of the processing of your personal information; (b) request the anonymization, blocking or elimination of your personal information that is unnecessary, excessive or processed in violation of the law; (c) request an identification of the public and private entities to which the Company disclosed your personal information or with which the Company used a shared database containing your personal information.
If you reside in Chile, you have the right, in addition to the applicable rights above and subject to applicable limitations and exceptions, to (a) request certain information about the processing of your personal information, (b) block the processing of your personal information.
If you reside in Mexico, you have the right, in addition to the applicable rights above and subject to applicable limitations and exceptions, to cancel or block the processing of your personal information.
If you reside in Peru, you have the right, in addition to the applicable rights above and subject to applicable limitations and exceptions, to (a) prevent your personal information from being supplied to certain third parties; (b) oppose the processing of your personal information; (c) not be subject to automated decision-making unless certain conditions are met; and (d) to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority.
How To Exercise Your Rights
You can contact [email protected] to request to exercise your data rights. Hyland will respond to requests to exercise individual data rights in accordance with applicable law. Hyland will recognize any additional rights you may have under applicable law, but it will not grant you more rights than applicable law provides.
European Economic Area, United Kingdom, and Switzerland
The information in this section applies to applicants who reside in the European Economic Area (EEA), the United Kingdom (UK), and Switzerland (collectively, “Europe”). Individuals in Europe (“European Individuals”) are not required by statute or by contract to provide any personal information to the Site.
No Automated Decision-Making
Hyland will not use European applicants’ personal information submitted through the Site for automated decision-making, including profiling, that produces legal effects or similarly significantly affects the European applicants.
Right to Lodge a Complaint: If European Individuals believe that their personal information has been processed in violation of applicable information protection law, they have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent supervisory authority in the country where they reside, where they work, or where the alleged violation occurred.
12. Changes to This Notice
Hyland may change this Privacy Notice from time to time in its sole discretion. If we make a material change to this Notice, we will inform you by posting the revised notice on this Site. Those changes will go into effect on the effective date posted in the revised notice. The new policy will apply to all current and past users of the online application page and to all information collected before the date of the change. The new policy will replace any prior policies that are inconsistent. Please check periodically for changes to this Privacy Notice, and especially before you provide any personal information to us. If we will materially change how we use, disclose or otherwise process your personal information, where required by law, we will contact you before doing so and obtain your consent before using, disclosing or otherwise processing your personal information other than as described in this Privacy Notice.
13. Inquiries and Concerns
Please direct any questions or concerns you may have about this Privacy Notice to [email protected].