Human Resources Document Management
Improve HR file and application approval, organisation, storage and visibility
Human resources (HR) departments generate a mountain of data and documents. Everything from employee reviews to company policies needs to be tracked, stored and updated on a regular basis. If you’re an HR professional, you’re familiar with the challenges of dealing with this sometimes overwhelming surplus of files. The good news is there are ways to effectively handle it on your own without having to outsource to a third party.
What is HR document management?
HR document management is the processes and techniques involved in organising, storing and accessing all types of HR files and data.
An effective HR document management process ensures that employee information is kept secure and accessible by HR teams. Having the right strategy in place means that employee documentation is properly stored, files are disposed of according to regulatory compliance and HR teams can streamline their daily administrative duties.
What is a HR document management system?
A good HR document management solution will allow you to focus on your job – managing human resources – instead of on painful audits and labor-intensive file updating and storing.
It will do this by:
- Automatically updating and filing all HR-related forms and documents on a secure, cloud-based server
- Quickly and easily processing new applicants and onboarding new employees
- Securely storing and managing employee files in digital folders that ensure separation of crucial HR documents
Benefits of a HR document management system
HR document management software frees up time for your employees. By eliminating the risks that come with manual paperwork — more time can be spent on streamlining the hiring, onboarding or exit processes. Key benefits of HR document management solutions include:
Easier accessibility with centralised HR storage
Documents scattered across filing cabinets, hard drives or email inboxes will make any HR process a tedious task. A document storage repository allows employee files to be instantly searchable and easily retrievable by HR professionals when they need them.
Data capture tools further reduce the burden of paperwork. For example, optical character recognition (OCR) will automatically extract data from physical documents, convert that data into the appropriate format and save it into electronic formats recorded on a single platform.
Simplified and automated HR processes
HR teams must stay in control of sending out offer letters, issuing new company policies and other employee-related requests that come in on a daily basis.
Automated document workflows get files and information routed to the right people for reviews and approvals. HR workflows define pre-existing tasks that need to be done for a milestone to be achieved (a job application reviewed, contracts signed, etc.) With workflow automation, all relevant users are immediately notified of pending tasks and decision-making is accelerated.
Paper-based signing is another time-consuming task that delays response times. Electronic signatures (e-signatures) allow users from any location to sign legally binding documents without physically printing, faxing, scanning or posting them. For HR teams, this is an obvious advantage when it comes to getting contracts or offer letters signed faster.
Protected employee information
The disorderly management of employee records and files is a security risk. Poor HR document management looks like:
- Documents constantly being misplaced, miscategorised and lost
- Ad-hoc file sharing without following security standards
- Non-compliant document storage, archival and destruction of sensitive HR documentation
A single, secure location can reduce your organisation’s document management liabilities. This can be done by providing a document’s entire auditable history and controlling who has access to documents and confidential employee information. A document storing system would also keep organisations ahead of fast-changing regulatory compliance and country-specific HR management laws.
How OnBase can help you with HR document management
OnBase maximises your ability to perform administrative tasks, access information and cycle through HR approval processes. Our system integrates with your human capital management systems, allowing you to retrieve employee documents and data without leaving your familiar interfaces.
OnBase allows you to:
- Eliminate manual/paper forms and create quick, transparent processes
- Automate essential tasks such as policy and procedure sign-offs, employee onboarding and employee offboarding
- Significantly speed up new employee recruitment and selection via electronic capturing, storing and routing of applicant files
- Better manage employee files by equipping you with secure, instant access to critical employee information
- Electronically store and distribute policies and procedures, ensuring every employee is instantly updated when changes are made