Hyland Hy-Tech Club
FALL 2020 VIRTUAL HY-TECH CLUB
APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED
Hy-Tech Club is a free programme for High School students who want to learn how to code. The club offers beginner to advanced level classes, and meets weekly during the school year. The Fall 2020 semester will be held in a virtual format via Zoom.
The first meeting of the Fall 2020 semester will be September 29 or 30, depending on the module in which you are placed. The semester will run for 11 weeks, and students should only apply if they can commit to weekly meetings. We strongly suggest students look at their schedules before applying to Hy-Tech Club.
Applications are now closed.
FALL 2020 VIRTUAL CLASS OFFERINGS
We understand that each student’s availability will look different this upcoming Fall semester, and we will try to be as flexible as possible with our schedule. During the application process students are asked to indicate their availability.
- The Club will meet on either Tuesdays or Wednesdays, from either 4-6PM EDT or 4:30-6:30PM EDT.
- The schedule will be finalised based on the majority of student availability.
The below module offerings are subject to change based on enrollment for Fall 2020. If there are not enough students to fill a class, the class may be cancelled and students will be notified.
Web 101: HTML & CSS (Wednesdays)
- This module covers the basics of web development, introducing static webpages and styles. By the end of the semester, students will be able to create their own webpages using the HTML language to build structure, and the CSS language to add style.
C# 101: Intro to C# (Wednesdays)
- This module introduces the C# programming language, and delves into primary programming concepts at a deep level. By the end of the semester, students will feel comfortable developing simple console applications using basic C# structures.
C# 102: Continuation of C# 101 (Tuesdays)
- This module introduces slightly more advanced C# concepts. By the end of the semester, students will be able to develop new console applications in C# using more advanced programming patterns and data structures.
C# 201: Game Development with C# (Tuesdays)
- This module introduces game development in C#. Students will use advanced object-oriented programming concepts to create games of their own design.
Software Development Capstone (Wednesdays)
- This module offers students the opportunity to complete a team-based semester-long project using a technology of their choosing. Students will learn about agile methodology, along with other software development practices including pair programming, testing, product ownership, and user experience.
Students are required to complete all pieces of the application by 11:59PM EDT September 22, 2020. All applications must be filled in by the student, in the student's own words. We are asking that parents do not fill in the application for their child.
Students will be notified (via the e-mail addresses on their application) about our decision within 3-5 business days from submitting their application. Our goal is to make decisions as quickly as possible, so everyone has enough time to plan for the upcoming semester. The semester will start on September 29 or 30, depending on your module assignment.
**Please note that parents or guardians must submit the online application for children under the age of 13. This website is not intended for used by children under the age of 13.**
REQUIRED STUDENT RESOURCES
In order to successfully participate in Virtual Hy-Tech Club, students must have access to the following:
- Laptop, desktop PC or Chromebook
- A Chromebook screen may make it difficult to watch the Zoom meeting and code at the same time. A second device may be recommended in order to do both at the same time.
- Unfortunately, Chromebooks are not equipped to support content covered in C# 201 and Software Development Capstone due to their limited functionality. Students in those classes should have either a laptop or desktop PC.
- Microphone or other audio equipment
- If students don't have a microphone attached to their computer, they can connect to audio via phone.
When filling in the application, students who have not been in Hy-Tech Club before should answer “no” to the first question. It is important to note that "Hy-Tech Club" is different from "Hy-Tech Camps."
NEW STUDENT OPTIONS
New students with little to no programming experience will be considered for Web 101.
New students who have programming experience may be considered for one of the following module: Web 102, C# 101, C# 102, or C# 201.
FORMER STUDENT OPTIONS
Former students should have received an e-mail with instructions on which classes they are eligible to take. If you are a former student and you are not sure which class you are being considered for, please e-mail [email protected].
HY-TECH CLUB STUDENT TESTIMONIALS
“This is a wonderful programme that is very adaptable to all situations. You guys beautifully adapted to this corona situation and handled it perfectly.”
“I think the instructors did a very good job continuing the class during the transition between in class and at home instruction. They really kept the curriculum going strong and it was a very good experience for me.”
“Hy-Tech Club has given me an amazing experience over the semesters I have done, allowing me to learn as much as possible. It's a wonderful resource for anyone.”
“Hy-Tech club is the reason why I can code. They teach you so well and make it enjoyable that anyone who wants to learn or gain more knowledge in coding, I recommend them to hy-tech club.”
“Since I started Hy-Tech Club, I have learned so much about coding. The curriculum is easy to learn from and the instructors are great to work with.”
“The Hy-Tech Club is a great experience for those who want to learn to code. It welcomes beginners with a sense of social and fun experiences.”
“I have done Hy-Tech Club for over 2 years, and I have enjoyed every semester, and have made good memories.”